A Modernist Exhibition Space Renovation
800 years after its opening, architects DC.AD and Victor Vicente restored Espelho D’ Água Space, a modernist pavilion constructed to host the ‘Exhibition of the Portuguese World’ in 1940.
The building appears to be floating on the surrounding River Tagus.Located in Belém on the purpose-built Praça do Império (Empire Square), the building appears to be floating on the surrounding River Tagus. The restoration saw the knocking down of a wall dividing the main space, and the restoration of the hall’s original features. The space now comprises of an exhibition hall, a leisure area, an art gallery, a music venue and a restaurant and bar.